Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Christmas!! and Happy Holidays!

I had a tough conversation with my 6 year old son the other day. I told him that it is perfectly fine for him to wish someone a Merry Christmas, but that not all people celebrate Christmas and some people even get offended if you say it to them. I really hate having to explain this to such a small boy, but this is our world.

I saw a show on CNN the other day about "What Would Jesus Really Do?" and they had some good debates back and forth. I was very impressed with a lady that is Indian and does not celebrate Christmas, but certainly appreciates those that do and even appreciates the teaching of Jesus Christ. However, there was also a Jewish man who was so opposed to Christmas and the Christians wanting to have it publicly celebrated. When it was brought up that we, Christians, are not offended about him or others celebrating Hanukkah, he pointed out that he, and others, do not fight to shove it down our throats.

Wow! I was blown away! Yeah, how many emails have I gotten that insist I keep Christ in Christmas and fight for rights to have a Nativity in public places and so on and on. Okay, I WILL keep Christ in Christmas and I WILL teach my children the reason for the season, and I will invite others to come to my church for Christmas Eve services (and other services as well), but if someone does not want to celebrate like I do, then so be it. It is my Christian duty to spread the Word, but not to shove it down your throat, so enjoy your Winter Holiday of Choice and I will enjoy my Christmas!!

I told my son, we have freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion, so we can say Merry Christmas AND Happy Holidays to people and then let the person take whichever one fits his or her needs!! And then we can pray for everyone who needs it, including ourselves!

Praise God for Mercy and Forgiveness! And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

No comments: